Glass Cabinet Tutorial

Hope you all had a great Easter. We enjoyed spending time with family and hunting eggs.  It was the first time we got our girl a basket with goodies. She was in Heaven with the few candies she was allowed to eat.

So on to what some of you have been waiting for...
 This is by no means an exact way to put glass into your cabinets.  This is how WE did it.  I hope that this only helps serves as your inspiration and maybe a little guidance to do your own.
 *You will be needing some basic tools for this project.  If you're lucky enough to own a jigsaw and a drill then you're in business. If not, then maybe you could borrow or rent one.

We started out with a sturdy, solid wood cabinet with a rectangular trim.  I'm not sure how common this type of cabinet is, but you can take this tutorial and match it to fit the needs of your cabinet.  It shouldn't be that different.  For the full reveal click here

Here is what ours looked like
Step 1: We removed the trim which left a rectangle "shadow" of the shape.  If you don't have this trim "shadow" then you will have to measure where you want your glass to go.  I wanted our glass to fit right in the middle of the shadow, so when we put the trim back on, the glass would rest nicely in the shelf of the trim.
Then we drilled holes in all four corners of the rectangle shadow.

Step 2:  My husband measured/drew a line right down the middle of the "shadow" because we wanted to be sure to cut a straight line and then put the trim back on later.  Once the trim was back on there would be a little shelf for the glass to rest on when you turn it over.
Step 3: Cutting the door. My husband lined up the jigsaw into one of the holes pre-drilled in the corner.  These holes help  facilitate the jigsaw into your wood. Then he slowly cut on the line all around the rectangular shadow.
Step 4:  Once the rectangle hole was cut out.  We had to nail the old trim back on to it's original place.  This was a little difficult. 
Step 5:  I didn't get a pic of this.  But after we put the trim back on, I primed and painted the door.  Once it was dry I turned the cabinet over spread a thin layer of window glazing on the backside of the trim and placed the glass onto the little shelf created by the overlapping trim from the front. I pressed the glass gently all around and allowed to dry over night.  This is pretty heavy duty glue, but just to be sure we added a little bit more security on the back.  With some more nails.
We got our glass cut to size, by taking the actual cabinets up to Lowes and having them cut each piece to the size of the specific cabinet.  They were about $7 each.  I also spray painted all my hinges with oil rubbed bronze, all new pulls.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Link Parties~
DIY Showoff 
Elizabeth &Co 
Fingerprints on the Fridge 
Reasons to Skip the Housework 

21 comments:

  1. gonna pin it for my future home! you make it sound like it was so simple, but phew I bet that was a real job! they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my question is can you come visit me and do it for me? ;) it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. I'd love to do this in my sewing room one day and display my fabric inside the glass. cabinets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really amazing. I love how your kitchen looks. It is really a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow your glass cabinet doors look amazing! I need to show this to my guy because I would love to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is fabulous! What a great DIY project. So glad I found your blog via Fingerprints on the Fridge. I'm a new follower so we can keep in touch. I would love if you stopped by, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great makeover, what an awesome DIY project! Thanks for the tutorial. If you have some time I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog to check out the giveaway I'm having for a Ramsign Home Sign!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, your glass doors are just gorgeous! I'm featuring you tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that looks amazing! Honestly!! I love the look of glass cabinets but I never even thought of DIYing it - gorgeous job! And thanks for the inspiration - I'm renting but maybe I can convince my parents to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I think you are so brave to tackle this project...but the results are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous job! I've always wanted to do this too. Great tips and the result is awesome! I'm going to include a link back in this week's highlights. ;) Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your glass doors look awesome. I'm so impressed y'all did it yourself! :) Pretty kitchen.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so want to do this to a few cabinets in our kitchen. We just painted them and I think it will give a little something extra.

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a huge project and you made it look easy peasy! Found you over at Fingerprints on the Fridge! I'd love for you to come link this up at my Tuesday Time Out Party - open all week!

    http://www.reasonstoskipthehousework.com/2012/04/tuesday-time-out-april-24th.html

    Smiles,
    Melanie

    Reasons To Skip The Housework {The Blog}
    Tinker B Boutique {The Shop}

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would love to do this when we get to a house we will stay in. Makes it look so chic! I'm your newest follower, I hope you'll stop by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your doors look amazing! I have old kitchen cabinets that are very similar and I never thought to add glass. Thank you for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are really talanted:)
    ~Serena

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think is a good idea and your cabinets looks gorgeous, but can i do it on laminate cabinet?
    Thansk
    Epifania

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow thank you for that tutorial! we have the exact same ugly(original) cabinets! the transformation if just stunning! -erin

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cabinets look great beautiful
    color choice. I want to do white cabinets, the glass inserts will look fantastic with white cabinets. Thanks for information

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment