This is a very simple recipe for a really delicious soup. I've made this several times, and it is one of my husbands favorite dinners.
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F(220 degrees C). Separate sliced onion into single rings.
- In a medium sauce pan saute onions in butter until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in flour and gradually add broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast French bread slices.
- Place toasted bread into soup bowls. Pour soup mixture over bread and sprinkle with Parmesan and Swiss cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.