French Onion Soup

This is a very simple recipe for a really delicious soup.  I've made this several times, and it is one of my husbands favorite dinners.

Ingredients

  • 2 onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 6 slices French bread, toasted
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F(220 degrees C). Separate sliced onion into single rings.
  2. In a medium sauce pan saute onions in butter until soft, approximately 20 minutes. Stir in flour and gradually add broth and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, toast French bread slices.
  4. Place toasted bread into soup bowls. Pour soup mixture over bread and sprinkle with Parmesan and Swiss cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.  

3 comments:

  1. I JUST mentioned to my M-I-L this weekend that I needed to get my hubby to start liking onions... this is one of my favorite soups! And you give a surprisingly easy recipe! I may have to sneak it in our dinner one night to see what he thinks. If he won't eat it... oh well, more for me! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds yummy. Nice and simple, too. It's the perfect meal for a chilly Fall evening. I will try this. Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment