This is one of the best soup's I've ever had.
No, It's not fat free and no it's not ready in 20 minutes.
But the time you put in it is totally worth the effort.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked wild rice (I used a medley)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- 2 cups half-and-half
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, celery and carrots and saute for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 2 more minutes. Then add the flour and stir well. Gradually pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly, until all has been added. Bring just to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer.
- Next, add the rice, chicken, salt, curry powder, mustard powder, parsley, ground black pepper, almonds and sherry. Allow to heat through, then pour in the half-and-half. Let simmer for 1 to 2 hours. (Note: Do not boil or your roux will break.)
House of Grace